ADSM-L

ANS1217E message from TDPO

2003-04-28 16:45:38
Subject: ANS1217E message from TDPO
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:45:01 -0400
We are attempting to install TDP for Oracle under HP-UX 11. TDP is
at level 2.2.0.0. The backup/archive client is at 5.1.1.0. The server
is at 5.1.6.2 and running under OS/390.

It appears that we have no alternative to defining a separate server
stanza in dsm.sys for TDP backups. We have a consistent policy of using
'passwordaccess generate' with backup/archive clients, and TDP for Oracle
requires 'passwordaccess prompt'. I copied the default dsm.opt into the
TDP installation directory, and updated tdpo.opt to use this options
file. If I leave the 'servername' in the TDP copy of dsm.opt set to 'SYS1'
(the value used with the backup/archive client), a 'tdpoconf showenv'
command will run and reasonable output, with a complaint about the
password file not being available. If I set the 'servername' value to
anything other than 'SYS1', the command fails with the message:

ANU2532E Unknown Error - Check TDP for Oracle error log

The dsierror.log file shows the message:

04/28/03   16:09:41 ANS1217E Server name not found in System Options File

The tdpoerror.log file shows the message:

04/28/2003:16:09:41 PID<23365>  ==>  ANS1217E (RC409)  Server name not found
in System Options File

This happens even when the server name is in fact present in dsm.sys,
even when the alternative server stanza is an exact copy of the SYS1
stanza, and even when the alternative stanza is the first stanza in
dsm.sys.

We have SQL/BackTrack on a number of our HP-UX systems. It has no
problems supporting 'passwordaccess generate'. I would have thought
that the TDP developers, with the advantages that go with working
for the same company that makes TSM, could have matched a competitors
capabilities in this area.