ADSM-L

Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments

2003-04-28 11:28:16
Subject: Re: Message ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:20:40 -0500
I may not be able to directly answer your question but from what your
schedule looks like you may be having a problem we also had.  My first
solution was to create 2 separate schedules to run, one right after the
other, with half the objects in each one which worked fine.  Then I started
to notice that the 'bytes transferred' in the archives with special files
specified in the objects
(i.e. OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\*)  started to get noticeably
much larger then before.  Our particular Client this happened on was a
Lotus Notes W2K server on which we also do incrementals.  Historically the
incrementals were always larger because of the nature of the Notes
Database's, but all of a sudden the 'bytes transferred' in the archives
were double those of the incrementals.  Because we specified just certain
files in the archives, versus incrementally backing up everything, they
really should have been much smaller. After going through the schedlog,
file by file, we realized that all the files in the archive where getting
backed up twice!  This was because we had also specified in the Options
-SUBDIR=YES.  So you may want to look carefully at your schedlog to see if
this may also be happening to you.  Something with the SUBDIR has changed
since the archive schedule was originally set up (6yrs ago).  Note though,
that the archive schedules with just directories such as (C: D: E: or VOL1,
SYS1 etc.) in the OBJECTS and -SUBDIR=YES in the Options were not getting
backed up twice but ALL files & directories embedded (the word of the year!
: )) under each directory listed were getting archived.  So it may be that
all you need is;
OPTIONS="-SUBDIR=YES -ARCHMC=ARCHFSA -DELETEFILES" -
OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\* "' to get everything you need archived.

This may not apply to you but it is worth a shot.  Hope it is helpful.

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      Jeff White
                      <[email protected]        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      O.UK>                    cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Message ANS1102E
Excessive number of command line
                      Dist Stor                 arguments
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/28/2003 08:29
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi,

I am seeing the following message in a dsmerror.log from one of my client
nodes

ANS1102E Excessive number of command line arguments passed to the program

This means i can have up to 20 file names in the argument. My schedule
looks like this:

DEFINE SCHEDULE CISCO ARCHIVE-UTPDC -
DESCRIPTION="ARCHIVE THE FSA UNIT TRUST FILE" -
ACTION=ARCHIVE -
OPTIONS="-SUBDIR=YES -ARCHMC=ARCHFSA -DELETEFILES" -
OBJECTS='"G:\DATA\ACCESS\184 BACKUPS\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\57 BACKUPS\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\578 BACKUPS\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\1263 BACKUP\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182MAN BACKUP\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\182SYSTEM BACKUP\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISPS SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* "' -
'"G:\DATA\ACCESS\CISUM SPT DATABASE BACKUP\* "' -
PRIORITY=5 -
STARTDATE=11/13/2002 STARTTIME=14:00:00 DURATION=1 -
DURUNITS=HOURS PERIOD=1 -
PERUNITS=DAYS DAYOFWEEK=SUNDAY

So i only have 8 directories that i want to archive. What confuses me is
that we have been running this command schedule for some months now,
without problem. It started last week, and happened again yesterday.

The TSM server is 5.1.5.2 running on z/os 1.3 mainframe
The TSM client is 4.1.2.0

I have read in the archives (re Richard Sims) from Feb 2001, but i have
less than the maximum allowed.

Any thoughts?

Jeff White

This e-mail may contain confidential information or be privileged. It is
intended to be read and used only by the named recipient(s). If you are not
the intended recipient(s) please notify us immediately so that we can make
arrangements for its return: you should not disclose the contents of this
e-mail to any other person, or take any copies. Unless stated otherwise by
an authorised individual, nothing contained in this e-mail is intended to
create binding legal obligations between us and opinions expressed are
those of the individual author.

The CIS marketing group, which is regulated for Investment Business by the
Financial Services Authority, includes:
Co-operative Insurance Society Limited Registered in England number 3615R -
for life assurance and pensions
CIS Unit Managers Limited Registered in England and Wales number 2369965  -
for unit trusts and PEPs
CIS Policyholder Services Limited Registered in England and Wales number
3390839 - for ISAs and investment products bearing the CIS name
Registered offices: Miller Street, Manchester M60 0AL   Telephone
0161-832-8686   Internet  http://www.cis.co.uk   E-mail cis AT cis.co DOT uk

CIS Deposit and Instant Access Savings Accounts are held with The
Co-operative Bank p.l.c., registered in England and Wales number 990937,
P.O. Box 101, 1 Balloon Street, Manchester M60 4EP, and administered by CIS
Policyholder Services Limited as agent of the Bank.

CIS is a member of the General Insurance Standards Council

CIS & the CIS logo (R) Co-operative Insurance Society Limited