ADSM-L

Re: Copy frequency will not work...

2003-04-24 13:21:09
Subject: Re: Copy frequency will not work...
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:20:54 -0400
Well,  the last time the file was backed up was 4/16/2003 (this was under
the default management class).  I assumed that since the copy frequency is
6, that is should've backed up 4/23/2003.  (This file is changed every day)
I am not very familiar with the client side of TSM and I have been working
with the owners of this server.

- Verify that this node is in the DESKTOP policy domain - yes

- Do a "dsmc query backup f:\mssql\backup\*.bak" to see what management
class the files are bound to. They had previously been bound to the default
management class.  No copies of this file has been bound to the new SQL_DB
management class yet.

- After adding the include for SQL_DB, was the client restarted to pick up
the change?  When you say restarted are you referring to the scheduler?  If
so, then yes they stopped/restarted it.

- What does QUERY INCLEXCL show?  Is this done from the client side?

Thanks!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
(717)975-8338

                      Andrew Raibeck
                      <storman AT US DOT IBM.C        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Copy frequency
will not work...
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/24/2003 12:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Joni,

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "it doesn't work" ?

The copy frequency indicates the *minimum* number of days that must
transpire before the file is eligible for backup again; it doesn't mean it
*will* be backed up every x number of days (unless the file has changed in
that timeframe).

Some things to check:

- Verify that this node is in the DESKTOP policy domain

- Do a "dsmc query backup f:\mssql\backup\*.bak" to see what management
class the files are bound to.

- After adding the include for SQL_DB, was the client restarted to pick up
the change?

- What does QUERY INCLEXCL show?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
04/24/2003 09:36

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Copy frequency will not work...

Hi everyone!

How have you been?  I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but if you do
please don't hesitate to say so.  I was just wondering if you have any
management classes set up in your environment with a copy frequency?  I am
trying to set up a management class for a backup copy group that will only
backup files every 7 days.  I made the following management class:

 Policy Domain Name                   DESKTOP

 Policy Set Name                      STANDARD

 Mgmt Class Name                      SQL_DB

 Copy Group Name                      STANDARD

 Versions Data Exists                 7

 Versions Data Deleted                3

 Retain Extra Versions                30

 Retain Only Version                  90

 Copy Mode                            MODIFIED

 Copy Serialization                   DYNAMIC

 Copy Frequency                       6

 Copy Destination                     SPACEMGPOOL

 Last Update Date/Time                2003-04-23 10:20:06.000000

 Last Update by (administrator)       LIDZR8V

Here is the domain that it is in:

 Policy Domain Name         DESKTOP

 Policy Set Name            STANDARD

 Mgmt Class Name            SQL_DB

 Default Mgmt Class ?       No

 Description                Backs up SQL DB Once
                            a Week

 Space Management Technique NONE

 Auto-Migrate on Non-Use    0

 Migration Requires Backup? YES

 Migration Destination      SPACEMGPOOL

 Last Update Date/Time      2003-04-16
                            11:21:42.000000

 Last Update by             LIDZR8V
 (administrator)

Here is the include/exclude list on the client:
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*.*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
Exclude "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
Exclude *:\...\pagefile.sys
Exclude *:\IBMBIO.COM
Exclude *:\IBMDOS.COM
Exclude *:\MSDOS.SYS
Exclude *:\IO.SYS
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.*
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*
* Exclude E:\MSSQL\BACKUP\*.BAK
*Exclude F:\MSSQL\BACKUP\*.BAK
Exclude F:\MSSQL\AELITA\*.MDF
Exclude F:\MSSQL\AELITA\*.LDF
Exclude E:\MSSQL\DATA\*.MDF
Exclude E:\MSSQL\DATA\*.LDF
Include F:\MSSQL\Backup\*.BAK SQL_DB

I have validated and activated the domain.  From my point of view this
should work, but it hasn't.  Any suggestions?