ADSM-L

Re: Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated

2003-04-18 18:12:23
Subject: Re: Restores--multiple threads vs. collocated
From: "Coolen, IG (Ilja)" <ilja.coolen AT ABP DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:11:50 +0200
Hi Nancy,

we also worried about this issue, so we did some tests.
We are using 9x3590E drives using Extended Length carts.

As you suggested it would seem to be best to set collocate to no, to
maximize the amount of threads you can start from a tape-pool point of view.
But the downside of this is that all you client's data gets spread out on
all available tapes. This would require a massive amount of
mounts/seeks/rewinds, which will slow the restore down, when measuring the
overall performance. At our shop it did.

Best way is to backup do collocation on either node or filespace. To use the
benefit of the multi-session restore you should make a storage pool backup,
which you should do anyway. The available resources in the copypools will
also be used when performing a multi-session restore.

Another important issue is the load a client can process. Don't try running
a 6 session restore on a single client-CPU or on a client on a 10Mb/s
network. This will also slow things down.
Play around with the resourceutilization (dsm.opt/dsm.sys) and the maxnummp
(node definition on TSM server) settings to find out the best settings per
node.
When the resourceutilization is set to 10 while the maxnummp is set to 5,
only 5 sessions will be used.

Also prevent a single client from claiming ALL drives when restoring. Make
sure other nodes and house-keeping processes can use resources as well.

Hope this is helpfull.

kind regards,

Ilja