ADSM-L

Re: ~s and no line-feeds

2003-04-18 09:12:57
Subject: Re: ~s and no line-feeds
From: Lisa Cabanas <cabanl AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:03:50 -0500
Andy- I was just quoting what I found at:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q=IC34299&uid=swg186256c3e005f1adc86256c8b003ab407&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

 IC34299: BOTH TSM ONLINE GUI HELP AND COMMAND LINE HELP
 PRODUCE GARBLED CORRUPT OUTPUT

and

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q=IC34299&uid=swg21081264&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

 Document information
 Product categories:
  Software
  Storage Management
  Data Protection
  IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
  Client
 Operating system(s):
  AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, TRU64 UNIX
 Software Version:
 5.1
 Reference #:
  1081264
 IBM Group:
  Software Group
 Modified date:
  2003-01-07

Title:
How to correct corrupt format of TSM On-line Help facility

 Solution

Problem
Users upgrading Tivoli Storage Manger (TSM) from version 5.1.1.x lose the
integrity of the on-line help in TSM. Output is either garbled or separated
by pipe signs ( | ).

Solution
The problem started when a change was made to the newline character in the
help text between the 5.1.0.0 and 5.1.1.0 levels. The code at level 5.1.1.0
and above is now going to look for the tilde character instead of the pipe
as the newline character as described in APAR IC34299.

This change in the linefeed character necessitates that the help files have
the tilde instead of the pipe. Because the help files are only shipped at
the 5.1.1.0 level and not the 5.1.1.1 (or other patch levels) if the
application of the 5.1.1.0 level is skipped, it will not pick up the new
help files. If the lslpp output is reviewed, it will be noticed that TSM is
running with the 5.1.0.0 help files (tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.webhelp and
tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.server).

To install the needed help files (and the 5.1.1.0 message repository), the
5.1.1.0 install package must be obtained. (This can be downloaded from the
FTP site). Then install the following 2 packages from that image:
5110SMG.bff and 5110WMG.bff.

             Andrew Raibeck
             <storman AT US DOT IBM.C
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: ~s and no line-feeds

             04/17/2003 09:57
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Lisa, I don't know where you got IC32499, that's not even a TSM APAR.

I believe the APAR in question is IC34754, which is currently targeted for
TSM 5.1.7 (sorry, I don't know the ETA for this).

I would not recommend regressing your message catalog. The catalog that
comes with the server version you are running is the one that should be
used, unless directed otherwise by Service or Development.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Lisa Cabanas <cabanl AT MODOT DOT NET>
04/17/2003 10:46

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        ~s and no line-feeds

Is anyone running 5.1.6.0 or above without the problem below??

The APAR (IC32499)  database only documents this for 5.1.1.X upgrades, and
you have a 5.1.0.0 Common Messages file.
      If the lslpp output is reviewed, it will be noticed that TSM is
running with the 5.1.0.0 help files (tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.webhelp and
            tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.server).
I have a 5.1.6.0 tivoli.tsm.msg.en_US.server, so I don't know whether the
message catalog at 5.1.6.0 is "as good" as the one at 5.1.1.0 (which I
can't backlevel to without removing and reinstalling- afaik).

-lisa

 Re: TSM Upgrade from 4.1 to 5.x questions

 Forum:   ADSM.ORG - ADSM / TSM Mailing List Archive  Date:      Mar 28,
01:46  From:      Jurjen Oskam <jurjen AT QUADPRO.STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>

 On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 12:14:29PM -0500, Bill Boyer wrote:

 > the latest patch. I'm now up to 5.1.6.3 with the only problem being the
 > formatting of the Q PROCESS output with the ~'s and no line-feeds.

 Yes, that happens here too, both with 5.1.6.2 and 5.1.6.3 (AIX 433 ML
10).
 The filesets were installed with the correct option (Install and Update
 from ALL available software).

 It's not everywhere that linefeeds are missing, and it's only a very
minor
 cosmetic problem.

 --
 Jurjen Oskam