ADSM-L

Re: Can the volume write pass value be used to track media life?

2003-04-17 21:22:15
Subject: Re: Can the volume write pass value be used to track media life?
From: Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:46:54 -0400
Laura,

I don't think that the WRITE_PASS column is going to help you - I ran the
following query on our busiest server.  At least some of the volumes have
been filled and emptied several times, but none shows a write_pass value
greater than one.

tsm: TSM>select volume_name, write_pass from volumes where write_pass
>1 order by write_pass desc
ANR2034E SELECT: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

Another thing to consider is that some tapes may never be completely
written from beginning to end - if they are reclaimed prior to becoming
full.  DB backup tapes will generally also not be filled.  It also does not
address how frequently tape is read from - are reads "counted" as usage by
Sony in the coming up with the lifecycle  figures?

Perhaps you could do something by maintaining usage records based on the
volhistory table?

Ted

Ted Byrne