ADSM-L

TSM Server 5.2 on LINUX for zSeries

2003-04-17 21:18:07
Subject: TSM Server 5.2 on LINUX for zSeries
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:47:56 -0400
> Is anyone thinking about running their TSM Server on LINUX for zSeries?

It has already occured to us that a zSeries Linux server might be the
least painful way out of an economic bind we are heading for. We run
a TSM server and a number of unrelated applications on an aging
Multiprise system. We will probably replace the Multiprise with a
low end zSeries system by late 2003. This will enable us to upgrade
to an operating system that will be supported past late 2003. It
will also give us a lot more main memory and support for gigabit per
second Ethernet. The system we are contemplating will not give us
significantly more processor throughput. We could afford the hardware
charges for more processor throughput, but it would cost us hundreds
of thousands of dollars in license upgrades for some of our non-IBM
software. If processor capacity becomes a problem we might pay for
an additional processor dedicated to Linux use and migrate the TSM
server to the Linux environment. Our understanding is that an
additional processor dedicated to Linux use would have no impact on
license charges for software running under z/OS.