ADSM-L

New media and old copy pools

2003-04-14 12:46:54
Subject: New media and old copy pools
From: Jim Kirkman <jmk AT EMAIL.UNC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:30:44 -0400
Hey all,

I've started using our new 3590K tapes for archiving and dr tape pools
and life is good! Now, I want to start getting our older 3490 tapes back
and I'm not sure of the best method.

What we did was to create a new device class/storage pool using the new
3590 drives and make that new storage pool the copy pool for an existing
primary pool. One problem is I can no longer reclaim the original
offsite pool. I assume this is because of the change in copy pool
assignment to the primary pool?  Move data doesn't help, can't cross
storage pools.

This is the smaller of the two offsite pools, but it's still approaching
500 tapes, so I don't want to onesy and twosey this thing. Even if I do
jump through some hoops to get the number of tapes down I still want to
eventually get rid of the old pool all together.

What have others done when creating a new device class, etc?

Oh, 4.1.4.2 on OS\390 using a 3494 library.

Thanks,

--
Jim Kirkman
AIS - Systems