ADSM-L

Re: Rational ClearCase Backups

2003-04-11 15:19:46
Subject: Re: Rational ClearCase Backups
From: Kathleen Hallahan <Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:19:15 -0400
This is coming up in our environment as well.  Do you or has anyone out
there determined what to do in the event a backup exceeds its normal
window, or fails and has to be restarted, or some such eventuality?
Locking VOBS at unexpected times can't be too helpful to the users!

Thanks!

Kathleen

                    Thomas Denier
                    <Thomas.Denier@MAI       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    L.TJU.EDU>               cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:     Re: Rational
ClearCase Backups
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected].

                    04/11/2003 10:44
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

> Anyone out there running Rational Clearcase? If you are how do you handle
> the backup of the VOBS? Do you use the Rational lock mechanism followed
by a
> regular TSM incremental backup and then unlock the VOBS after the backup
> completes? We are getting ready to do test some restores using this
> approach. Curious what other folks may be doing.

The O'Reilly book "Unix Backup & Recovery" has a chapter on ClearCase.
There is no specific information on TSM, but there is a detailed
discussion of the locking and unlocking procedures needed to obtain
a consistent backup.