ADSM-L

Re: Cache hit percentage

2003-04-10 14:27:25
Subject: Re: Cache hit percentage
From: Dave Canan <ddcanan AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:29:15 -0700
Are you also using selftunebufpoolsize?

At 02:12 PM 4/10/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Hi all

I've been living with a cache hit percentage at 97-98% for over 2 years
now. I've always wanted to get to 99 but have never been able to. I
finally got my ram doubled
from 1.5 to 3 gb 2 weeks ago. Since then I've been steadily upping the
bufpoolsize with no results whatsoever. Here are the details of the system :

F80 with 4 processors and 3 GB of ram
AIX 5.1
TSM 4.2.3.3
Db sits on 15 gb 10k rpm Hitachi disks in a 7700e (raid5). The database is
alone on the raid group.
2 FC cards for disks connected through Inrange FC9000.

As you can see the database is not mirrored

Volume Name       Copy    Volume Name       Copy    Volume
Name       Copy    Available  Allocated      Free
(Copy 1)          Status  (Copy 2)          Status  (Copy
3)          Status      Space      Space     Space

(MB)       (MB)      (MB)
----------------  ------  ----------------  ------  ----------------
------  ---------  ---------  --------
/usr/local/tsm/-  Sync'd                    Undef-
Undef-      6,800      6,800         0
 bd01/db.bd01                                ined                      ined
/usr/local/tsm/-  Sync'd                    Undef-
Undef-      6,800      6,800         0
 bd02/db.bd02                                ined                      ined
/usr/local/tsm/-  Sync'd                    Undef-
Undef-      6,800      6,800         0
 bd03/db.bd03                                ined                      ined
/usr/local/tsm/-  Sync'd                    Undef-
Undef-      6,800      6,800         0
 bd09/db.bd09                                ined                      ined
/usr/local/tsm/-  Sync'd                    Undef-
Undef-      7,168      1,168     6,000
 bd09/db02.bd09                              ined                      ined

My bufpoolsize is now at 921600 (900 mb) and heres the q db f=d :

          Available Space (MB): 34,368
        Assigned Capacity (MB): 28,368
        Maximum Extension (MB): 6,000
        Maximum Reduction (MB): 3,512
             Page Size (bytes): 4,096
            Total Usable Pages: 7,262,208
                    Used Pages: 5,568,905
                      Pct Util: 76.7
                 Max. Pct Util: 78.0
              Physical Volumes: 5
             Buffer Pool Pages: 230,400
         Total Buffer Requests: 298,089,579
                Cache Hit Pct.: 97.84
               Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00
           Backup in Progress?: No
    Type of Backup In Progress:
  Incrementals Since Last Full: 0
Changed Since Last Backup (MB): 32.38
            Percentage Changed: 0.15
Last Complete Backup Date/Time: 04/10/2003 09:00:56

This is at 2:00pm today. I don't really have a performance problem
(atleast I hope not...).  Expiration runs between 1 and 2 hours examining
over 4 million files,
deleting between 100,000 and 500,000.

Heres what vmtune says :

vmtune:  current values:
-p       -P        -r          -R         -f       -F       -N        -W
minperm  maxperm  minpgahead maxpgahead  minfree  maxfree  pd_npages
maxrandwrt
74189   222569       2          8        120      128      65536      128

-M      -w      -k      -c        -b         -B           -u        -l    -d
maxpin npswarn npskill numclust numfsbufs hd_pbuf_cnt lvm_bufcnt lrubucket
defps
629137   16384    4096       1     186        640          9      131072     1

-s              -n         -S         -L          -g           -h
sync_release_ilock  nokilluid  v_pinshm  lgpg_regions  lgpg_size
strict_maxperm
0               1           0           0            0        0

-t           -j              -J               -z
maxclient  j2_nPagesPer j2_maxRandomWrite  j2_nRandomCluster
222569           32            0                  0

-Z                  -q                    -Q                -y
j2_nBufferPer  j2_minPageReadAhead  j2_maxPageReadAhead   memory_affinity
512              2                    8                 0

-V                  -i
num_spec_dataseg  spec_dataseg_int
0                512

PTA balance threshold percentage = 50.0%

number of valid memory pages = 786421     maxperm=30.0% of real memory
maximum pinable=80.0% of real memory        minperm=10.0% of real memory
number of file memory pages = 343322      numperm=46.3% of real memory
number of compressed memory pages = 0     compressed=0.0% of real memory
number of client memory pages = 0 numclient=0.0% of real memory
# of remote pgs sched-pageout = 0    maxclient=30.0% of real memory

I also have a smaller TSM server running on the same machine.The database
is just under 1 gb and the bufpoolsize is at 256000 and I can't get the
cache hit percentage
over 97.

So, are the vmtune settings really that bad? I am not a AIX sysadmin and
haven't quite understood all this vmtune thingy.

Any help or recommendation will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Guillaume Gilbert
Storage Administrater
CGI Montreal