ADSM-L

backupset

2003-04-10 09:25:50
Subject: backupset
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:25:15 -0400
Hello everyone!!!

I have a situation, which this time I hope is an easy one.  I have several
NT servers in a domain of approximately 100 NT servers that we are
currently doing full backups for once a week.  This is adding a lot of
extra work and processing time that I know is not needed.  The problem is
that they want a full backup of all the files for each of the servers on a
minimal number of tapes for disaster recovery. (So that they don't have to
take 100's of tapes and also their restore times would be very slow and
probably wouldn't get done in the allotted time)  I have thought about
collocating the offsite pool, but this wouldn't make sense because we send
the tapes offsite once a day, which would lead to many under utilized tapes
and I would also need to run reclamation for that pool constantly.  I had
thought to do collocation onsite, but that doesn't solve their problem
either.

Here is the question:  Would a backupset  be a solution to this problem?
Then I wouldn't have to have approximately 1TB of extra data backed up on
the weekend.  (Which is a very busy time for tsm as it is)

Any suggestions/comments?  Does anyone else have this problem?

Thank you!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com