ADSM-L

Re: SV: which tape drive labeled my tapes

2003-04-10 04:19:57
Subject: Re: SV: which tape drive labeled my tapes
From: Henrik Wahlstedt <shwl AT STATOIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:19:27 +0200
DLT7000....  and STK9710 library.

When I run out of ideas and have a numerous of tape related problem ,
anr8302e...
Drive 1 to 5 can read the tapes, and when I try to mount a ' problem tape'
it in drive 6, it cant read the label and generates alot of sence codes.
Of course I can try mounting the tape 5 to 6 times and then finally make
the drive read the tape.

Drive 6 can read other tapes, but to be sure it wasnt the drive I replaced
it and the tray, SCSI card and SCSI cabling. I still got I/0 errors.
I have upgraded the drives microcode, and drivers for SCSI card and
drives...

The problem tapes are in range 000000 to 000800.

//Henrik

                    Kjell

                    Svensson             To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <[email protected]        cc:     (bcc: Henrik Wahlstedt)

                    E>                   Subject:     SV: which tape drive
labeled my tapes
                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    2003-04-10

                    09:39

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Hi Henrik!
TSM uses all available drives in "roll mode" i.e. it always uses the one
after the last used one to ensure that all drives are worn to the same
extent.
That means that if you labeled three tapes it used three different drives.
btw, why would you want to which drive labeled what? I fail to see the
importance of that information.

Kjell Svensson