ADSM-L

Re: Urgent ! Can't start the server after upgrade to 5.1

2003-04-09 19:37:00
Subject: Re: Urgent ! Can't start the server after upgrade to 5.1
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:36:36 -0500
A search at IBM on the msg you are receiveing gives the following hit:

Problem
If a customer is upgrading from 4.x to the 5.1 TSM server level
on any platform, there is a chance they could run into a problem
when converting to the new Backup.Groups table. The new table was
added in the 5.1 TSM DB structure and replaces the old Group.Members
table. Here is the error message that the customer will most likely
see.

ANR9999D iminit.c(XXX): ThreadId<0> Error 8 converting Group.Members
to Backup.Groups.

NOTE:
This only applies to customers' who have Windows 2000 machines that
are backing up system objects to their TSM server.

Solution
There were 2 APARs opened for this problem.

The first APAR was IC33977.
This APAR addressed the issue of a missing non-group leader object.

The second APAR was IC34309. The fix for this APAR allows for the
upgradedb to continue if any other scenario occurs where the
information within the DB does not exist for either
a group member or group leader.

APAR IC34309 is the fix that customers' should apply to their
system since it will allow the upgrade to continue regardless
of any missing information that may exist in the Group.Members
table.
This is fixed in the 5.1.1.4 fixtest level of the TSM server.

Before upgrading to the TSM 5.1 version customer should do the
following:
1) Apply the 5.1 base
2) Apply the 5.1.1 PTF
3) Apply the 5.1.1.4 fixtest
4) Upgrade the TSM DB
5) Start the server for use

I have no idea how stable 5.1.1.4 is.  We're running 5.1.6.2 on w2k and it
seems ok.