ADSM-L

Re: Database backup strategy?

2003-04-09 15:56:33
Subject: Re: Database backup strategy?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:56:10 +0200
> => On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:49:52 -0500, Matt Simpson <matt AT UKY DOT EDU>
> said:
>
> > I'm curious about the type and frequency of database backups that
> > people do. I've inherited a TSM environment set up by sombeody else
> > and I'm trying to make sense out of it.

We have two tape libraries, so we do two full backups every day, one in
each lib. We do one after (most) client sessions end and one before
(most) client sessions start. We do the server processing (backup stg
and expire invent) in between...

Incremenatals are usefull if you want to minimize loss of data in case
you'll have to restore. We currently don't do incrementals, but if, do
at least one full each day. If you have any data off-site, take a full
db backup off-site as well, but keep one on-site as well.

We run the log in normal mode, roll-forward is usefull for the even that
you have one transaction that corrupts the database, and you have to
restore. You might maybe be able to restore to just before the fualting
transaction, with a lot op patience and luck.... In that case, you'll
have to be able to do an incremental after the faulting transaction, so
IMHO chances are slim, and I wouldn't bother... Having to do multiple
resotres to get it right, may not be an option.... If you can spare the
tapes, do an incremantal a few times during the day, IMHO that is a
valid solution.

</rant> :-)

--

Remco