ADSM-L

3584 Tape Sharing

2003-04-08 17:16:59
Subject: 3584 Tape Sharing
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:16:29 -0500
We are running TSM 5.1.6.1 and have a 3584 connected via LVD SCSI (Adaptec
39160 controller) - no SAN.  We are looking at setting up another server and
are exploring the Sharing possibilities.  We currently have  LTO1 drives and
are also exploring upgrading/adding LTO2 drives.  I've searched this list,
Red Books and TSM doc and still have some questions.

One option is to partition the 3584 into 2 logical libraries and have a SCSI
connection from each server to the 3584 to the first drive in the logical
partition.
This would allow us to put LTO1 drives in one partition and LTO2 drives in
the other, each being used by a different server.  Is anyone doing something
similar - how do you handle tape protection between the two servers (if same
type of tape in each partition)?

The other option is to use TSM Library Sharing and this is where I have
questions:

TSM Extended Edition has a feature called Library Sharing over LAN (for
libraries that support this function)
- Does the 3584 support this?  Any doc I see seems to say a SAN is required?

With Library Sharing, can I have a mix of LTO1 and LTO2 drives (partitioned
into two logical libraries becasue I am at 5.1) and share these 2 logical
libraries?

Thanks,

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg