ADSM-L

Re: Capacity planning (Repost dute to no response)

2003-03-31 15:33:35
Subject: Re: Capacity planning (Repost dute to no response)
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:33:17 -0800
Geoffrey,

I do pretty standard metrics by tape count, occupancy, CPU utilization,
paging, network interface utilization, etc, for my capacity planning.  I'm
afraid there's really no formula per se that's useful in the real world.

The TSM documentation describes how you can take your %change, server size,
count, growth expectation, etc, to size your server.  With those numbers you
can guestimate your various capacities (network, storage).  However, getting
those numbers is impossible (I won't even qualify that with the word
"near").  If you can get your customers to pony up reliable information and
give you growth projections, %change, etc, then that's the real magic and
I'd like to hear about it.  Additionally, I don't know of anything except
the standard "watch and see what happens" style standard performance
monitoring and tuning to size for CPU and RAM.

Good luck.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail