ADSM-L

Re: Informix backup

2003-03-28 18:50:41
Subject: Re: Informix backup
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:50:10 -0600
From: Mario Behring [mailto:mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM]
> I have to perform the backup of a Informix database and I
> want to know if is possible for TSM to do it without the TDP
> for Informix.
>
> I have been told that the ONBAR tool uses the XBSA libraries
> to talk to SM products and that the only thing that the TDP
> for Informix does is to act as a translator between TSM and
> Informix. Is it true ?

Actually, that's how all TDP agents work; they use the application's own
backup facilities (virually all databases have one) to create a backup
which is held long enough for TSM to suck it as a backup, and then is
deleted. This is because Tivoli (quite wisely) decided a long time ago
to make use of the OS and application interfaces.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)