ADSM-L

Re: Offsite reclamation questions

2003-03-27 10:36:04
Subject: Re: Offsite reclamation questions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:35:58 -0500
For onsite tapes, TSM reclaims the ones with the most free space first, just
working down the eligible list one tape at a time.

For offiste tapes, it appears that TSM looks at all the data on all the
eligible tapes, then tries to mount each input tape required (from your
onsite pool) just once.  Which amounts to working on all the eligible
offsite tapes at the same time.

Good news is that you get a minimal number of input tape mounts that way.
Bad news is that it may take a long time to get any single tape completely
empty.

The only way to force things is to set your reclaim % high, let those tapes
reclaim; then drop it a little lower and let those tapes finish; etc.