ADSM-L

Re: Netware backup oddities

2003-03-25 12:13:25
Subject: Re: Netware backup oddities
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:46:46 -0600
John,
Correct assumption.. No new management classes created.  No management
classes are set to absolute.  This node didn't change management classes,
nor had anyone modified it's Node definition or dsm.opt files.

As far as things that require a backup, we can find no evidence of anything
changing (other than last access date when changes to the current date/time
you check the properties of a specific file) on any of these files that are
backing up unnecessarily.  The trustee thing made me think for a bit.  The
Netware admin doesn't remember changing anything that would impact that,
but if someone else did, he would have had to change the trustee rights on
specific files, since not all files in all folders are backing up
unnecessarily.  I can see no pattern for why some files are backing up
again and others are not.

Anything else to check before we open a ticket with TSM Support?

|--------+------------------------------------->
|        |          John Naylor                |
|        |          <john.naylor@SCOTTISH-SOUTH|
|        |          ERN.CO.UK>                 |
|        |          Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor  |
|        |          Manager"                   |
|        |          <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>     |
|        |                                     |
|        |                                     |
|        |          03/25/2003 10:03 AM        |
|        |          Please respond to "ADSM:   |
|        |          Dist Stor Manager"         |
|        |                                     |
|--------+------------------------------------->

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                      |
  |      cc:
                                               |
  |      Fax to:
                                               |
  |      Subject:     Re: Netware backup oddities
                                               |

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Todd,
First I have assumed that you have made no recent changes to the TSM
environment
eg. no new management class with a copy mode  of absolute.
Sounds very much to me that something has changed on the netware client.
Perhaps
a new process or new software that is changing file attributes so that TSM
is
deciding they need to be backed up
File modifications requiring a backup are :-

The date or time of the last modification is different.
The file size is different.
The file attributes, with the exception of archive, are different.
However, If only the file meta-data changes (such as access
permissions), but the file data does not change, TSM may back up
only the meta-data.
Additionally for netware changed trustee rights are also a file
modification

Check with your netware admin whether this is occurring.
John

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy plc.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.