ADSM-L

Re: Old data Migration

2003-03-25 12:04:41
Subject: Re: Old data Migration
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:48:08 -0500
As near as I can remember it, here's the way I moved from DLT to LTO (should
pretty well match up).

1) Define your new SDLT tape pools
2) Make these pools the 'next pool' for both your disk pools AND the DLT
tape pools
3) Update your library to set ALL DLT tape to private (no scratch DLT tapes
-- I just checked them out)
4) Depending on time constraints -- use a mix of storage pool reclaim and
move data

All new backups will go to SDLT; all reclaims and migrations will go to SDLT
as long as there are no available DLT scratch tapes. Your storage pool
backups will make the trip as the data moves to the new tape storage pools,
freeing up your off-site DLT tape.

My move took about two weeks from the start, for about 480 DLT tapes to 120
LTO; part of the time-delay was allowing some 8 and 10 day retention
archives to just die a natural death in DLT format.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc