ADSM-L

Re: hot standby cross failover tsm servers

2003-03-24 06:22:51
Subject: Re: hot standby cross failover tsm servers
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:21:26 +0100
Hi

We have this kind of scenario running.

However, we've used HACMP 4.4 in a active/passive mode to be able to use
the fail-over scenario, and are only running one active instance of TSM on
the cluster. There is one active and one passive clusternode. The config
is a follows:

- 450 clients, divided into 250 UNIX servers and 200 Windows servers.
- Two clusternodes, based on the P-Series 660 with dual drawers, 6
processors, 8 HBA:s and 4GB of RAM
- 3 active cluster LAN connections, and one heartbeat connection. Also,
each cluster node has a private connection.
- SAN-based storage devices. For primary stgpool they use 9310 with 12
9840B drives, and for the disasterpool they use a 3494 with 4 3590E
drives.
- Approx. 3-4TB of data transfer each night.
- A total of 90TB in primary pools, and 90TB in the copypool.

The reason we only use one active instance, is cause the customer wanted
to have minimal administration. When using two active instances, you'll
have to administer two TSM servers. Therefore, we sized the TSM servers
accordingly.

Also, now the customer has the possibility to do HW and SW upgrades,
without interrupting normal operations. He can just add more HW, or
upgrade the SW, on the passive node, and then do a cluster rg move to this
node, and then do the same changes on the other node. The customer also
has the possiblity to test a software upgrade before commiting it, by
upgrading the software on the passive node, test it, and then decide
wether or not to commit the upgrade.

If the primary site goes down, the passive node will go up as active.
Restores will be possible, as TSM will do the restores from the copypool,
if the primary pools aren't available.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Koen Willems <koen_willems AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
2003-03-24 11:27