ADSM-L

Re: Win2000 Restore

2003-03-20 10:01:15
Subject: Re: Win2000 Restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:59:42 -0500
I don't think the Redbook on TSM & Win2K deals with user profiles, as they
assume you are backing up servers and most people don't care about the
desktop profile for server administrators.  We back up about 400 Win2K pro
machines, so the profile matters to us.

1) When you reinstall the new windows, you should not join the domain, do
the restore in a "work group".
2) After you restore the system objects and before you reboot,  you MAY need
to take extra steps to restore your profile, which is stored in ntuser.dat
and UsrClass.dat

Usually, if you are logged off during the backup, you don't have to make any
special effort to rebuild the profile.  If you are logged ON during the
backup so that ntuser.dat and UsrClass.dat don't get backed up, you have to
recover the profile from the registry backup.  And you have to do it BEFORE
Win2K creates that new .001 profile, which it will do if it doesn't find the
right ntuser.dat file.

I've done a lot of testing on this part.

My procedures and a document on profiles are posted at  www.coderelief.com.
Click to the Scripts & Links depot,
Click the DISCUSS and STORE SCRIPTS link, TSM scripts, Disaster Recovery.
They are under the topic Win2K BARE METAL RESTORE.  They aren't scripts,
just documentation.  Might help you find all the pieces and parts.