ADSM-L

Re: Year retention oracle backups

2003-03-17 17:12:14
Subject: Re: Year retention oracle backups
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:09:32 +1000
Josef,

I nearly didn't reply to this because of your inappropriate subject line  -
I'll assume it was a mistake.

RMAN generates its own names for the backuppieces, but the oracle admin has
control  of the prefix used.
One option that they can use is different prefixes for different retentions,
and then use these prefixes in their delete scripts.
TDPO doesn't care.  It holds its data  until RMAN tells it to delete.  It is
the DBA's problem not yours.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin

Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> zatko AT LOGIN DOT SK 17/03/2003 21:29:31 >>>
Helo guys,
one of our customer wants to backup Oracle databases in such a way, that
along with normal daily backup with 14 days retension should be also once a
week created sparate full backups of Oracle databases, which should be kept
for 1 year.
My question is how to do this as eficintly as possible (som of databases
are quite large - 400 GB).

Is there any other solution than to use two different node names?
And if I use two node names for Oracle backup, how to configure TDP? Do I
need two RMAN backup repositories - one for each TSM node or can I use only
one?

Thank you in advance

Ing. Jozef Zatko
Login a.s.
Dlha 2, Stupava
tel.: (421) (2) 60252618

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.