ADSM-L

Selective backups

2003-03-17 14:42:22
Subject: Selective backups
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:41:28 -0600
I have recently setup a Directory Management Class, some server-side Client
Option Sets pointing DIRMC to that management class, and assigned those
option sets to nodes.  So now, all new/changed directories should be being
managed by that management class (disk based storage, no migration, etc.).
I can see that going to each node and issuing a
dsmc selective -dirsonly -subdir=yes c:\* g:\*
and any other drives that exist will re-backup versions of all directories
on the listed disk drives.

But, that's a lot of work.
So I tried an immediate action schedule on one of the servers.
Action = Selective
Options = -dirsonly -subdir=yes
Objects = c:\*,d:\*,g:\*

and that immediate action schedule finally tried to run 7 hours later, and
didn't work.

Is there anything I can do from the server to kick off a -dirsonly
-subdir=yes backup of ALL existing drives in a list of nodes?  From what I
am gathering, the selective backup requires a filespace and I have not been
able to get *:\* to work yet.  Or, do I need to even worry about this?  My
intention was to (eventually) get all backup versions of directory objects
off of tape and stored only on disk.

Thanks in advance.