ADSM-L

Re: Creating two tape copies offsite with each has Different Retention

2003-03-12 17:48:31
Subject: Re: Creating two tape copies offsite with each has Different Retention
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:35:21 +1000
Hmm,
 Wouldn't the next backup stg just recreate the volumes you have deleted?

My way would be to increase the reusedelay on the longer retention pool so that
the tapes aren't reused for the requisite number of days, and ensure that
database backups are available that far back.  In the unlikely case that anyone
ever wanted to get data back, restore the db to a second server and then
restore.

The Manager is still an idiot, but at least a happy one.

Steve.

>>> acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET 13/03/2003 7:17:21 >>>
I would second Allen's opinion about your manager (if you dare you can
show him both responses) - beat him with all the manuals on the head until
it opens to different opinions.
I would understand requirement to keep offsite copies longer than onsite
ones but hard to see good business reason for the opposite.

However it could be done quick and dirty:
- define separate primary pool for that data
- backup the pool to separate copypool
- on the seventh day simply delete volumes with discard=yes (and ask your
manager to keep track which volumes have to be deleted and retrieved back
onsite !!!)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Edgardo Moso <edgardo_moso AT KINDREDHEALTHCARE DOT COM>
12.03.2003 20:19