ADSM-L

Re: Migrating TSM Server on AIX

2003-03-12 11:16:55
Subject: Re: Migrating TSM Server on AIX
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:16:18 -0600
Your only two concerns in this area are 1) your new DB is at least as
large, in total, as your old one. 2) It is actually mirrored, somehow -
can be via TSM or AIX mirroring. The number, size, and names of the
individual dbvolumes do not matter, as long as it all fits when you
restore the database.

When I did this in December, my major problems were with tape device
definitions. They are in your database, and will be restored, and may
not work anymore on your new computer. Be prepared to delete and
redefine all your drives, after making sure that AIX knows about them
correctly. I had AIX lose track of them when my Quantum ATL P7000
library decided to change its SCSI addresses all on its own in the midst
of my work.

You specifically do NOT want to move the Device Configuration file from
your old computer to new! You must create a new one for the new
computer. You can let this happen by itself, as you make the "test" TSM
server on the new computer work. Once it works, and you can operate a
skeletal test TSM server there, leave it alone. It may be useful to have
a copy of the old one for reference in case things don't go right, but
the thing is a plain text file, easily editable by hand if you get into
trouble.

If you shut down the server on the old computer as you describe, taking
note of the volume(s) your last database backup was written on, the
Volume History File will not really be useful, except for making the
syntax of the restore db command simpler. Once your database is
restored, and your server is working, a backup volhist command will
write a new one for you out of the database, where the information is
really kept. TIP: Make two copies of this last database backup.

Treat this kind of move like Disaster Recovery, without the disaster.
(Then write up your notes and tell your auditors you have done a DR
drill!)

               Academic Computing & Communications Center