ADSM-L

Excludes not excluding for W2K clients

2003-03-12 08:32:08
Subject: Excludes not excluding for W2K clients
From: "Pucky, Todd M." <Puckyt AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 08:31:38 -0500
TSM server OS: AIX 5.1 TSM server: 4.2.3.3
TSM clients 5.1.5.4 and 5.1.5.9 on Windows 2000
I know similar issues have been addressed on this list before, but I
couldn't find a definite answer to my questions regarding W2K system object
backups...
I am trying to put together a client option set on our TSM server for some
client backups and I only want to include a few directories.  Here is the
client option set I have created:
Option                      Sequence   Override   Option Value
                              number
-------------------------   --------   --------
DOMAIN                             4         No   DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
-SYSTEMOBJECT
INCLEXCL                           1         No   exclude *:\...\*
INCLEXCL                           2         No   exclude
*:\...\WINNT\SYSTEM32\...\*
INCLEXCL                           3         No   exclude
*:\...\SYSTEM32\*.*
INCLEXCL                           8         No   include '*:\...\Documents
and Settings\...\*'
INCLEXCL                          10         No   include *:\...\*.pst
INCLEXCL                          12         No   include
*:\...\Exchange\...\*

The only data that I want to backup is in Documents and Settings, .pst files
in any location, and the Exchange directory.  When I run an incremental
backup the files in the WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory always backup (a lot of
.dll and .exe files).  This creates an extra 120MB-150MB of files for each
incremental backup.  Here is what the clients see when they do a q exclincl
for the command line:

*** FILE INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ***
Mode Function  Pattern (match from top down)  Source File
---- --------- ------------------------------ -----------------
No exclude directory statements defined.
Incl All       *\...\Exchange\...\*           Server
Incl All       *\...\*.pst                    Server
Incl All       *\...\Documents and Settings\...\* Server
Excl All       *\...\SYSTEM32\*.*             Server
Excl All       *\...\WINNT\SYSTEM32\...\*     Server
Excl All       *\...\*                        Server
Excl All       C:\WINNT\System32\NtmsData\...\* Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\metabase.xml Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\metabase.bin Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\System32\inetsrv\mbschema.xml Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\System32\DtcLog\MSDTC.LOG Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\schedlgu.txt          Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\registration\*.clb    Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\netlogon.chg          Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\debug\*               Operating System
Excl All       C:\WINNT\csc\...\*             Operating System
Excl All       C:\DOCUME~1\riley\LOCALS~1\Temp\...\* Operating System
Excl All       C:\Documents and Settings\riley\...\index.dat Operating
System
Excl All       C:\adsm.sys\...\*              Operating System
Excl All       *\Pagefile.sys                 Operating System
Excl All       *\hiberfil.sys                 Operating System
Excl All       *\...\*.crmlog                 Operating System
No DFS include/exclude statements defined.

How do I exclude the .dll and .exe files in the *:\...\WINNT\SYSTEM32\
directory on these backups?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

> Todd Pucky
> The Timken Company
> Global Information Systems
> Phone: 330.471.4583
> E-Mail: puckyt AT timken DOT com

This message and any attachments are intended for the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this
communication to others; also please notify the sender by
replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

The Timken Company