ADSM-L

Re: TSM Backup errors (TcpRead...errno = 10058)

2003-03-10 21:02:32
Subject: Re: TSM Backup errors (TcpRead...errno = 10058)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:01:59 -0500
>Folks, I am getting a server that fails it's backups.  It appears to "hang"
>for days if you let it (and it has on one weekend).
>...TcpRead(): recv(): errno = 10058 ...

The 10058 is: Cannot send after socket shutdown.  A request to send or
receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut
down in that direction with a previous shutdown call. By calling
shutdown a partial close of a socket is requested, which is a signal
that sending or receiving or both has been discontinued.

This is just a physical indication of loss of session.  There is likely
a logical cause, which in turn may be incited by physical events.
Naturally, whereas TSM is a client-server arrangement, just looking at
the client error log isn't going to give you the whole picture: you
need to look at the TSM server Activity Log to also see what it has to
say about the session.

As always, you'll gain perspective by determining when this started
happening and then examining client/server conditions and/or your site
change control log to see what may have incited the circumstance.
Your posting fails to specify client or server software levels, so we
can't offer much about the effect of any given release level.
It may simply be that your server needs settings adjustment, or there
is a troublesome drive, etc.  You need to gather more information.

  Richard Sims, BU