ADSM-L

Re: Offsite Volumes

2003-03-10 17:45:29
Subject: Re: Offsite Volumes
From: Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:37:57 -0500
David, thanks for the email.  See my responses below. (Using caps to
differentiate answers not to shout.)

Mahesh

Mahesh Tailor
WAN/NetView/TSM Administrator
Carilion Health System
Voice: 540-224-3929
Fax: 540-224-3954
>>> David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG 03/10/03 17:14 PM >>>
Yes, I have seen this and there are a number of reasons
that can cause this.

1.  Are you using DRM to expire the DB
tape?  You should be, if not that can be a cause.

USING DRM FOR DB TAPE EXPIRATION

2.  How detailed are your operations people and your
tape return procedure?  Example: if ops is using the
"Move DRM " command to return tapes, do they just
manually input tape volser?  Point is that if they type
wrong number of a tape that is still physically offsite
but has just gone to vault retrieve state, tape  will be
deleted and left at vault.  It's not in a DRM state
anymore and you have to do manual inventory to find it.

DID THIS WITH THEM AND DID NOT SEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH INVENTORY PROCESS.

3.  Vault vendor can mistakenly omit a tape to be returned
and OPS runs the move drm command anyway and tape
is lost as above.  (I find Vault Vendor errors are miniscule
compared to ours).

VENDOR MANAGES THE SEALED BOXES AND NOT MEDIA.  ALL BOXES ARE RETURNED
FOR THIS INVENTORY.

4.  Tape was by a number of means left in Tape library
and not sent offsite and your OPS didn't catch it.  So
it can't be returned.

ALL TAPES WERE OFFSITE AND IN THE BOXES; NOT IN THE 3494 LIBRARY.

5.  Someone could have done some manual Move drm
commands by mistake or maybe you have some automated
scripts that need to be changed with your retention
policy changes.  (Dion't know about your changes and
how many scripts or schedules you have, but a review
wouldn't hurt.

NO OTHER USER HAS RIGHTS TO DO THIS; ONLY ME AND MY BACKUP.  CHECKED OUR
WORK AND NOT SEE EXTRENEOUS MOVE DRM STATEMENTS.

All are OPS procedural issues except #1 above.

I have dealt extensivley with all of the above and
various permutations.  Main point is that your OPS
and Procedures have to have GOOD audit trail.  OPs
has to check carefully and make sure what they send
offsite is what is on list you/they run and what comes back
is what is on list of what was requested from vendor.

If they see any descrepancies, they need to flag you on
this so you can investigate.  Some folks have a fairly
well automated or semi-automated system for tape
returns.  (May use a script or Web interface so ops just
selects tapes in a list as opposed to them having to type
volsers in and clicks a button to generate lists for send
and return).

THEY DID FLAG ME THE FIRST TIME, SO THAT IS WHY I PARTICIPATED IN THE
NEXT MANUAL INVENTORY.  I HAVE A WEB INTERFACE FOR THIS PROCESS.  OPS
STAFF DOES NOT RUN ANY ANY COMMANDS.

TSM can't "Control" tapes after you take them out of
library, it has to assume you are following DRM cycle.

This is a brief overview of what can cause your problem.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM 03/10/03 04:17PM >>>
Hello!

TSM 5.1.6.2 on AIX 4.3.3.10

I am running DRM and I am seeing large discrepancies in what I have
offsite and what TSM reports as being offsite.

I run a q drm wherest=vault [or a select statement] and compare the list
to the physical tapes offsite and they don't match.  About 8 weeks ago,
we did this manual inventory and had about 60-tapes "come back."  I did
not pay much attention to this since we have been making some pretty
drastic changes to our retention policies.  Since then, though, we have
not made any changes and when we did a manual inventory last week, we
found about 32-tapes that did not match TSM's inventory.

Has anyone else seen this?  If so, can this be explained?  Thanks.

Mahesh

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/10/2003 05:15:05 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and
notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions
expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf
of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity
to give such views or opinions.