ADSM-L

IBM TSM Databases Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server 5.1.5

2003-03-06 23:10:24
Subject: IBM TSM Databases Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server 5.1.5
From: Bruce Lowrie <b.e.lowrie AT DOWCORNING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:03:22 -0500
Del,

We ran into a sort of problem, with this, but also some potential good news.
I have to disagree with the two statements below from the manual. I
installed 5.1.5 and didn't take note of the install directory as I was
assured beforehand it would install in a different directory than my old 2.2
version. It did in fact install over the 2.2 installation. So having got to
that point I decided to test out the second statement by restoring using the
new 5.1.5 GUI  a backup made with the old 2.2 version. It worked fine. Is it
actually valid to restore 2.2 backups with the 5.1.5 GUI.

The PDF manual states the following:
If Data Protection for SQL Version 2 exists on your system, Data Protection
for SQL Version 5.1.5 installs to a different sub-directory than Version 2.
If you are storing backup objects created by Data Protection for SQL Version
2, you must retain Version 2 for as long as you retain those backup objects.
Data Protection for SQL Version 5.1.5 will not overwrite the existing Data
Protection for SQL option, configuration, and log files.
(chapter 2 page 15)

Bruce E. Lowrie
Sr. Systems Analyst
Information Technology Services
Storage, Output, Legacy
*E-Mail: b.e.lowrie AT dowcorning DOT com
*Voice: (989) 496-6404
7 Fax: (989) 496-6437
*Post: 2200 W. Salzburg Rd.
*Post: Mail: CO2111