ADSM-L

Re: Poor TSM Performances

2003-03-06 10:36:04
Subject: Re: Poor TSM Performances
From: Chris Young <CYoung AT GRESHAMSTORAGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:27:16 -0600
Ruddy,

In a test that I did on a client site, average file size can account for
huge performance differentials when using LAN-Free. In one case, I ran a
test that compared transfer times of a 276480 byte file to a 2146435072 byte
file, the resultant transfer rate was .032 MB/sec. for the small file and
32.978 MB/sec. for the large file. The apparent reason for this difference
is that while file size differs greatly, each backup only required 1 DB
transaction. In this case, the DB transaction was the piece that was taking
the extra time and "degrading" the transfer rate of the small file.

Basically, it all boils down to how much data you can move within the TXN
limit. The more, the better the performance. If there are certain parts of
your file system where larger files are stored, you might want to try and
run a LAN-Free backup against them just to get a comparative baseline. If
you find performance improves, it might make sense to transfer the small
files over the LAN and the larger files over the SAN by establishing a new
management class that points to disk for small files and then modifying your
incl/excl file.

Hope this helps...

- Christopher Young