ADSM-L

Poor TSM Performances

2003-03-06 09:09:08
Subject: Poor TSM Performances
From: Ruddy STOUDER <Ruddy.Stouder AT IRISLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:07:56 +0100
I am quite disappointed by the TSM software performance.

Let's take :
WIN2000 client, Bi-Pro, nothing running on the machine except TSM client
WIN2000 server, Bi-Pro, nothing running on the machine except TSM Server

Client is backing up to server, using 100Mb TCP/IP => Throughput of
5,84GB/Hour => 13,3 Mb/sec !!!

With LAN-Free, result are the same !!!

So, having machines with CPU used with less than 10%, LAN card used at 10%,
where is the bottleneck ?
Backing up to disk or to LTO tapes does not help increasing the performance.

Following parameters are set :
TCPBUFFSIZE=128
TCPWINDOWSIZE=63
TCPNODELAY=YES (AND TESTED WITH NO)
LARGECOMMBUFFERS=YES (AND TESTED WITH NO)

I was hoping to reach at least 25GB/Hours via a TCP/IP 100Mb network and
50GB/Hours via LAN-Free to LAN device

Many thanks in advance for any feddback

                        Ruddy Stouder
                        Senior Technical Consultant
                        TSM Certified Consultant
                        I.R.I.S.
                        Rue du Bosquet 10 - Parc Scientifique de
Louvain-La-Neuve
                        B-1348 Mont-Saint-Guibert
                        ruddy.stouder AT irislink DOT com
                        <http://www.irislink.com <http://www.irislink.com> >
                        Tel: +32 (0)10 48 75 09  -  Fax: +32 (0)10 48 75 40