ADSM-L

Re: support matrix

2003-03-06 05:49:17
Subject: Re: support matrix
From: Halvorsen Geirr Gulbrand <gehal AT WMDATA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:48:32 +0100
Hi Sylvia
I don't believe you have a problem with the 4.1.x client. When it TSM
reports "Client is Donwnlevel" it's because the client have had a later
version installed (4.1.x), and that something has been backed up, with the
newer client version.
I'm nut sure, but I believe you can use (almost) any client version for
backup to a later version server. At least I'm using a 3.1 client, backing
up to a 5.6.x server (very special client - but still), and I've got
customers on every TSM server and TSM client level, from 3.7 to 5.1, with
all kinds of client versions. There is only one version I definetively,
would steer around, and that is 4.1.2.x - it has some awful problems with
unicode characters (Ø Ü) and such. (If you want to know more about this -
check adsm.org or tivoli site for the "umlaut problem.")

And YES, you'll be able to restore files backed up with an earlier version.

Rgds
Geirr G. Halvorsen