ADSM-L

Re: Exchange IS errors

2003-03-05 10:25:00
Subject: Re: Exchange IS errors
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:25:26 -0600
Is this exchange 5.5 ? And trying a full backup ? If so, the only way I have
found to correct it is to reboot the exchange system. I have not found a
reason yet, but I believe it is a low level inconsistency in the exchange
DB, once rebooted the consistency checker seems to fix it.

Take a look in the event viewer for any ESE97 messages and find the return
codes listed. EVENT 102 and 104, with a return code of (1884). Make a note
of them and place a call with IBM. I have been seeing this for sometime. I
was sent a test backup program from ITSM support but I have not had a
failure since receiving it.

My exchange group claims there is no corruption and the TSM software is at
fault. I have seen the exact same error on Exchange 5.5 sp2 and 3, on NT 4.0
sp 4 through 6a and the same exchange combinations on W2K sp2. Also using
the TDP for exchange 1.1.1.0 and 2.2. Out of the 23 exchange servers, almost
all have had this at least once. And the busiest systems have had multiple
occurrences.

Duane Ochs
Systems Administration
Quad/Graphics Inc.