ADSM-L

progressive backup vs. full + incremental

2003-03-05 09:24:13
Subject: progressive backup vs. full + incremental
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:21:12 -0500
Hello everyone!

I was wondering why the full + incremental would result in a longer restore
time than the progressive backup methodology?  From several co-workers
point of view they thought that it would be quicker on the full +
incremental because you wouldn't have to go back to the beginning backups
of the file and restore all of the incrementals, you would just go back to
the most recent full backup and apply the incrementals after that point.
When I went to explain the reasoning behind this, I had some problems
understanding the concept myself, so I was hoping someone could explain
both methods and why they differ in restore time and why progressive is
better than the full + incremental.  Thank you so much for any help you can
lend on this matter!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com