ADSM-L

Re: Novell Cross System Type Restores? Have you done it?

2003-03-04 16:32:33
Subject: Re: Novell Cross System Type Restores? Have you done it?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:30:36 -0600
From: Coats, Jack [mailto:Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM]
> I have Novell 4.11 servers we are backing up nicely, but need
> to be able to do a cross system restore to a Novell 6 server,
> of just the data. The Novell 4.11 are IPX only, and Novell6
> is TCP/IP only.
>
> Our servers are on different NDS trees, but each can work
> nicely with the same TSM 4.2.3.1 server (on MS Window 2000)
>
> Has someone done this before?

Proceed with caution. NetWare is *very* *picky* about volume formats.
You can't restore data from a compressed volume to an uncompressed (and
vice versa), and I don't think you can restore data from an NSS volume
to a non-NSS volume. (I think.) Cross-tree restores would make me very
nervous. It might be easier to restore the files to a machine within the
tree at 4.11, and use a Windows box with mapped drives to move the data
across.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)