ADSM-L

Journal Service Question

2003-03-03 11:33:31
Subject: Journal Service Question
From: Pete Tanenhaus <tanenhau AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:32:33 -0500
Your errorlog indicates that the journal service was shut down because an
i/o error occurred while updating a journal entry.

The precise meaning of return code 27 is that a seek was attempted to an
offset greater than 2 gig in the journal db file,
which essentially means that the journal db grew too large (the supported
maximum of the journal db manager is 2 gig).

Can you verify that the journal actually grew this large (look at the size
of journal db files in the journal directory) ?

Keep in mind that the number of journal entries corresponds with the amount
of file system change activity
and that the size of journal entries depends primarily on the fully
qualified path length of objects which change
(so file systems with very deeply nested dir structures will use more
space).

Also keep in mind the every journal entry is unique, meaning that there can
only be one entry per file/directory
of the file system being journaled (each entry represents that the last
change activity of the object).

When a journal based backup is performed and  journal entries are processed
by the b/a client (backed up or expired),
the space the processed journal db entries occupy are marked as free and
will be reused,  but the actual disk size of the
journal db file never shrinks.

I noticed that your notify buffer size was only 1 meg so I'm a bit
surprised that the journal was able to grow
this large without a notify buffer overflow occurring.

It's possible (doesn't seem likely, but possible) that if enough unique
objects changed in a long enough period of time
(before a Journal Based Backup was performed) that  the journal db file
could grow large enough to exceed
the 2 gig limit without overflowing the small buffer.

Anyway,  I suggest doing the following to get Journal Based Backup up and
running again:

1. Stop the journal service if it is running

2.  Delete entire contents of the journal directory

     del c:\TSM_Journal\*.*

3. restart the journal service

4. Perform a complete incremental backup of journal file systems

    Note that this backup MUST update the Last Incr Backup Date for the
filespace on the server,
    so you must backup the entire filespace (command like dsmc incr c:\*.*
WILL NOT do this).

5. Verify that Last Incr Backup Date was update by issuing the following
command:

     dsmc query filespace

6. Verify that the journal is valid and that Journal Based Backup can be
used by
     backing up a single file of a journal filespace:

     dsmc sel c:\somefile

     You should see the "Using Journal" message.

    Also note that when Journal Based Backup is used the "Number of
Objects" inspected statistic
    will be roughly equal to the actual number of objects backed up and
expired, as opposed to normal
    incremental backup where the number of objects inspected is actual the
number of objects that
   match the backup specification (the entire file system for dsmc incr c:
....).

7. Perform backup of the journal filesystem as you normally would.

    Backup must be to the same server with same node name as was used in
steps 4/6 for the journal
    to  be valid and for jbb to work.
.

If you are still experiencing problems please append again to the list or
email me directly.

Regards, Pete

Pete Tanenhaus
Tivoli Storage Solutions Software Development
email: tanenhau AT us.ibm DOT com
tieline: 320.8778, external: 607.754.4213

"Those who refuse to challenge authority are condemned to conform to it"

---------------------- Forwarded by Pete Tanenhaus/San Jose/IBM on

"Kamp, Bruce" <bkamp AT MHS DOT NET>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 03/03/2003 07:48:48 AM

Sent by:    "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>