ADSM-L

Re: Client side Multi HBA Configuration

2003-02-27 18:57:29
Subject: Re: Client side Multi HBA Configuration
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:38:49 +1000
Hi Gus,

Last time I checked this out, the emulex drivers (IBM Fibre HBAs are Emulex
9000s) did support IP over fibrechannel, but the IBM drivers supplied with AIX
didn't.

My AIX 5.1 system currently has no smit options which relate to IP on
fibrechannel, so I assume that its still not supported by IBM.

We have the same problem - we bought a thumpin' p690 and three IO drawers, but
despite there being 20 slots per drawer, only 10 of those can be high speed, ie
gigabit ethernet or fibrechannel.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU 28/02/2003 4:27:02 >>>
Frank,
I think you brought an interesting point about your fibre IP
connectivity as I plan to redesign my SAN with TSM server on AIX. Could
you share a little bit more about how to use IP through HBA to connect
to TSM server? This is new to me because I desinged to have separate
ethernet cards for IP connection and multiple HBA for redundancy plus
HACMP settings, so actually I'm running out of slots.... Thanks.

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
System Admin/Tivoli
Data Center, CSCC
614-287-5270
614-287-5488 Fax
jbaechi AT cscc DOT edu

>>> frank.cermak AT EDS DOT COM 02/27/03 11:45AM >>>
No...we are using fibre IP connectivity for our TSM backups. Fibre HBA
can
use IP to link to the TSM server via a standard IP address...

Frank C.