ADSM-L

Re: Copy storage pools - serious data integrity issues

2003-02-26 13:26:05
Subject: Re: Copy storage pools - serious data integrity issues
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:25:22 -0500
I have never run into anything like this.
I run this script regularly:

 select char(stgpool_name,12) as stgpool, -
   cast(sum(physical_mb)/1024  as decimal(10,1)) as   Physical_GB ,  -
   cast(sum(logical_mb)/1024   as decimal(10,1)) as   logical_gb, -
   sum(num_files) as objects -
   from occupancy group by stgpool_name order by 1

So that I can make sure that the number of objects in my disk pool + primary
tape = number of objects in copy pool tape.

The only way I KNOW of that you can get into your situation is if you have
either 1) a disk dirmc pool or 2) a primary disk pool that doesn't get
cleared out and you don't specifically copy it to the copypool.

Whenever I do:
BACKUP STGPOOL PRIMARYTAPE COPYPOOLTAPE
I also do:
BACKUP STGPOOL DISKPOOL COPYPOOLTAPE

Because when TSM does migration from disk to tape, it does NOT necessariliy
migrate the oldest data first, and you can go a VERY LONG TIME (or forever)
without all the data migrating to your primary tape pool.  So you need the
BACKUP STGPOOL DISKPOOL COPYPOOLTAPE to make sure that stuff gets to the
COPYPOOLTAPE too.

If that's not it, I would be REAL interested in hearing what you eventually
find...