ADSM-L

Re: Anyone doing 1TB+ Backup Nightly

2003-02-21 10:19:17
Subject: Re: Anyone doing 1TB+ Backup Nightly
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:45:13 -0000
Whether this helps or not, on testing the backups of Oracle databases to TSM
we found it far quicker to set a max filesize (1GB is what we use) on the
disk pool and let the big DB files got straight to tape. Your bottleneck is
then with the setup of your tape drives. We don't backup a given DB of your
sort of size but we do back up numerous large databases of approaching 100GB
in size. Our config is a P660 6M1 with 2 CPU's and 1GB memory. with four
directly attached LTO HVD drives (each on their own bus) and four SAN
attached LTO drives (with Four FC adapters in the server).

With regards to whether a P690 is a better way to go... I would say probably
not. The only advantage of the P690 over a P660 in I/O throughput is if you
need shed loads of I/O adapters to support your tape drives and disks.

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd