ADSM-L

Re: AIX TSM better than OS390 TSM ?

2003-02-21 09:43:28
Subject: Re: AIX TSM better than OS390 TSM ?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:42:47 -0500
Hi John,

I should have included more caveats in that message; I didn't mean to imply
that AIX performance is ALWAYS better than OS/390.  You can certainly set up
configurations where either OS/390 performs better, or where AIX performs
better.  And I am certainly not an AIX wizard, my background is primarily in
OS/390 performance & storage management.

In many cases, as you said, people get better performance on TSM/AIX simply
because they are running the AIX TSM server on a dedicated host and don't
have to fight for resources.

The AIX TCP/IP stack also performs much better than the TCP/IP stack on the
earlier versions of OS/390; in every release of OS/390 that is getting
better.

And it appears to me that AIX has a shorter code path for doing I/O than
OS/390.  AIX also uses all the available free memory in the box for (in
OS/390 terms) I/O buffers, and the I/O just flies, even though the AIX boxes
don't have the back end I/O processor hardware that mainframes do.

On the other hand, many OS/390 systems benefit from having a lot of I/O
paths available where you can tune and spread the I/O around, where some
people order AIX boxes with just one disk I/O bus (that's a MISTAKE!), so
that you eventually will hit a dead end on throughput.

Now those are all just BLAZING GENERALITIES, I know -- and I'm the first to
tell you that the answer to all tuning and configuration questions is:  IT
DEPENDS!!!

My intent was just to assure the original writer that she could move TSM off
her OS/390 system to AIX without worrying about giving up performance.