ADSM-L

Deleting DB backup volume

2003-02-21 07:14:38
Subject: Deleting DB backup volume
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:14:01 -0500
>hi, in our practice application,i have a question for tivoli storage
>manamger.the version of tsm software that we used is 5.1.0.0,in order to
>protect tsm server database,we use the tsm administrator command "backup db
><BR>type=full devc=ltodevclass" to perform database fu ll backup,the backup
>database located into one scratch volume in ibm 3584 tape library,use the
>command "q libv" to check the upon scratch volumes status that is dbbackup
>status.i want to let the dbbackup volume turn into scratch or private volume,
>in other words,as normally data backup.verify the volume history file during
>performing "q volh" command,the following inf ormation is contained: database
>backup time:09/29/2002 i use "del volh type=dbb toda=today-500" and attemp to
>delete the dbbackup volume in the volume history file,the result shows that
>zero sequential volume history entries were successfully deleted,then i use "q
>volh" com mand to verify the volume history file,the entry that described
>database backup is always exist,so i dont't delete the dbbackup vo lume. can
>you help me how to delete the dbbackup volume?  please write back me ASAP.

When posting messages, please include Subject in your mailing so as to identify
the thread for tying responses to the original posting.

"today-500" means 500 or more days ago.  Unless you are holding onto Dbbackup
tapes for 500 days, you need to employ a shorter age specification for the
tapes which may be deleted, such as "today-5" to recycle tapes 5 or more days
old.

  Richard Sims, BU