ADSM-L

Re: DSMFMT space calculation mystery

2003-02-20 20:15:55
Subject: Re: DSMFMT space calculation mystery
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 02:13:56 +0200
I would say you are forgetting the i-nodes. Unix filesystems dynamically
allocate i-nodes describing the physical file layout. In AIX (and not
only) the default settings are optimized for small files. Therefore a
large file like dbvol consumes a lot of i-nodes, i.e. 512b blocks.
You can attempt filesystem creation with larger "-a nbpi" value or attempt
to use 2933MB. In latter case if you substract from 3008300 the sum of
dbvol size and free blocks you can find how many blocks have been used for
i-nodes.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>