ADSM-L

Re: Missing files

2003-02-19 21:03:30
Subject: Re: Missing files
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:02:25 -0600
Quoting DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>:

> The successful backups do NOT say all files were sent during backup;
> following thoughts may help you discover the true reason for the missing
> files:
>
> - C$ on WinNT (esp. Win2K) has lots of system-protected files that get
> skipped;  they are rolled into the system state "blob", so could be all is
> a-okay.

 What's missing seems to all be under c:\My Documents

> - if you were using the scheduler, your dsmsched.log file contains a line for
> every file processed; search that log for the signs the files were (ever)
> sent... to learn the date and full-path to the source.

I restored the TSM logs and opt to my own desktop.  The options is
unremarkable, with all the excludes coming from a nondescript CLOPTSET.  The
schedule log exists as a fragment from six weeks before the headcrash.  But the
error log shows about two weeks of "fioscan" errors on c:\My Documents.  It's
hard to say what that means without the schedule log to correlate with, but,
still, it's suspicious.

> - if a drive failure occurs, even if just files/dirs trashed, followed by
> INCR backup, your retention policy for deleted files may be too short.

The retention policy, set by the IT Director for the particular Division is
5/1/60/90.  I have always recommended 5/2/30/60.  Nonetheless, there was still
enough leeway to fine deleted files on the first restoration attempt.

> - with the client installed, query inclexcl might reveal the files were
> excluded?!?

The machine was rebuilt under it's true DNS name, as opposed to the Domain
alias it had been backed up under.  Therefore, the backups are in a TSM limbo.

> - scan the activity log (and dsmerror.log) for messages re. the files in
> question; maybe the files were skipped (or inactivated) due to copy-mode or
> open-file contention.

By the time I was apprised of the situation, the activity log had already
cycled past the relevant entries.

> I agree that the user's data might have really been on a network share, not
> the locally-failing drive, in which case, they might still be there;
> alternatively, the possibility of slowly-dying drive causing a huge bunch of
> files to "disappear" is not very likely to go undetected more than a day or
> 3... but, if that did really happen, you'd better "fix" the RetainOnly value
> (to protect for this situation).

I'm still waiting for the SysAdmin and the User to come up with a coherent
story about the whole thing.  If the error log is any indication, the Sysadmin
should have had weeks to investigate what was going wrong.  All I have heard
was ex post facto.  At which point, all I can do is cluthc at straws.

On the bright side, this may lead to a eorganization of the way we do things.

> Hope this helps.

Thanks, Don.

> Don France
> Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
> Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
> San Jose, Ca
> (408) 257-3037
> mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)
>
> Professional Association of Contract Employees
> (P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)

Fred Johanson