ADSM-L

Re: 5.1.6.2 is out

2003-02-18 11:30:42
Subject: Re: 5.1.6.2 is out
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:25:11 +0000
In the spirit of sharing experiences:

> Is anyone who is on 5.1.6.0 satisfied with the delivery?

We found strange issues at 5160 upgrade time; we ran one server for a
few days at 5160 (from 3 February) which was quite satisfactory but
were advised by support to go to 5161 ...

> Is anyone on 5.1.6.1 satisfied with that delivery?

We upgraded one server to 5161 on 7 February and two more on 12 February.
All are at AIX 433ml10.  We use SSA disk primarily, 3494 and 3590Es.

We have had one TSM server crash and been advised to go to AIX 433ml11.
We may do that next or try to push on to AIX 5.1 (which is our aim).

Apart from that we are doing fine.  Performance of EXPIRE INVENTORY is
significantly improved (almost double).  We have seen a couple of old
(windows) 3.7 clients have a problem when the password expires (looping
sessions trying to connect and therefore clocking up sessions at a very
fast rate).  We will be rolling out the V5 clients next.

Two of our servers have DBs in excess of 100GB and daily intake of 200GB
and 400GB approximately, often in excess of a million files per day.  The
third is smaller and supporting archive and hsm.

I am aware of another hsm site which experienced problems with 5160; these
were alleviated by 5161.

> Is anyone ready to move to 5.1.6.2?

We have been advised to move to 5162, which we will probably do in the next
week or two; it's on a test server.

Best wishes, Sheelagh
--
Sheelagh Treweek