ADSM-L

Re: OS390 TSM Performance questions.

2003-02-14 10:20:10
Subject: Re: OS390 TSM Performance questions.
From: Rodney clark <Rodney.Clark AT INGBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:16:05 -0000
Well you dont mention the stripe size used for the database and logs file
systems.
We had our database and log on a striped filesystem and we had a really bad
expire perf srtipe size was 64 kb.

>From memory all database actions are 4kbyte.

Are these ssa disk if yes do you have write cache installed if yes is it
enabled for these disks ?

We moved the database and logs back to old normal lv's and we had a marked
inprovement in expirary perf. We also did a unload load which also really
helped.
Before the changes we were receiving more objects per day than we could
expire.

You seem to have 4 way mirroring TSM and And AIX or am I misreading this.

We use only AIX lvm mirroring.
Be aware that using AIX mirroring you get hit by the mirror write
consistency update.

To mimimize this have the busiest lv's postioned at the outer edge right
next to track 0
Write cache eliminates the perf hit of mwcc.

Also the setup of multple vg's can alos result in having multiple active
jfslogs whereas with one large vg you can isloate the jfslog to one or more
disks but I assume that the jfslog would not be very busy. Filemon can
answer that question.

the -W 256 in vmtune could this be your problem ?

Here is our vmtune stuff for comparison use it if you dare.
# ./vmtune
vmtune:  current values:
  -p       -P        -r          -R         -f       -F       -N        -W
minperm  maxperm  minpgahead maxpgahead  minfree  maxfree  pd_npages
maxrandwrt
  26213    52426       2        128       1000    10000     524288        0

  -M      -w      -k      -c        -b         -B           -u        -l
-d
maxpin npswarn npskill numclust numfsbufs hd_pbuf_cnt lvm_bufcnt lrubucket
defps
419411   16384    4096       1     930        560         64      131072
1

        -s              -n         -S         -L          -g           -h
sync_release_ilock  nokilluid  v_pinshm  lgpg_regions  lgpg_size
strict_maxperm
        0               0           0           0            0        0

 -t
maxclient
 418588

number of valid memory pages = 524263   maxperm=10.0% of real memory
maximum pinable=80.0% of real memory    minperm=5.0% of real memory
number of file memory pages = 92187     numperm=17.6% of real memory

number of compressed memory pages = 0   compressed=0.0% of real memory
number of client memory pages = 0       numclient=0.0% of real memory
# of remote pgs sched-pageout = 0       maxclient=79.8% of real memory