ADSM-L

improving performance on solaris 2.8

2003-02-13 11:16:47
Subject: improving performance on solaris 2.8
From: "Lee, Gary D." <GLEE AT BSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:13:37 -0500
We have tsm server 4.2.1 running under solaris 2.8 on a sun 3500.

Had plenty of memory (2gb) and a reasonable amount of disk.  However,
performance even with a gigabit ethernet was less than adequate.

Acting on a couple of replies received from this list, I modified the vfstab
and changed the database, log, and stgpool file systems to "forcedirectio".

Throughput went up by a factor of five or more for almost all clients.  Clients
with backups of a few large files, showed an increase of fifteen times
throughput.

Thought this info might help someone.

Gary Lee
Senior Operating Systems Analyst