ADSM-L

tape cartridges with same bar code

2003-02-07 22:44:33
Subject: tape cartridges with same bar code
From: 권기환 <kihwan AT KNU.AC DOT KR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 12:24:44 +0900
Hello,
To simplify my question,
assume that there are two tape cartridges with same bar codes.
The tapes are extended high performance tapes.
We have two IBM 3494 tape libraries( I call them as 3494A, 3494B).
If I put one tape into 3494A and if I put the other tape into 3494B,
will that cause a problem to ADSM server?
I have ADSM installed on an RS/6000 unix server which manages the two libraries.
I am a newbie in ADSM and someone says this will cause a problem
but I don't understand why.  Since they are in physically different library,
there should be a way to distinguish the two tapes with same bar codes in
ADSM.
Any comments will be much appreciated.

thanks.