ADSM-L

Re: Over extended log

2003-02-07 13:11:05
Subject: Re: Over extended log
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:06:22 -0600
As far as Log sizing, I think the only log size that makes any sense is
exactly 12gb. Why make it smaller, when disks are so cheap? And you
cannot make it larger, because as you say, you've got to leave yourself
someplace to go when it fills up.

However, what you are doing with archive-delete sounds dangerous, even
with the log in rollforward mode. I would never complete the delete part
of an archive-delete without some kind of safety mechanism, such as
delaying the delete by one day. I know TSM is good, but you are well
aware of the risk because you refuse to run in Normal mode. I would go
farther, and not delete the file from the original system until I knew
it has been migrated from the disk storage pool to the tape storage
pool, and also copied to the backup copy storage pool.