ADSM-L

Re: PMR 02528, 082

2003-02-07 12:45:46
Subject: Re: PMR 02528, 082
From: Allen Barth <allen.barth AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:41:10 -0600
[lobbing armor piercing verbage]

 Oh ye of narrow vision and holder of golden horseshoe of hardware luck:

1.  Have you ever lost a stg pool disk?  And before you answer "well ya
just backup again"
2. SOME DATA IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BACKUP AGAIN!
3. I REPEAT!

Along with regular clients, I backup data from Sybase and Oracle via
SQLBACKTRACK.  Some of this data is an incremental.  In this case
incremental FROM WITHIN the db server.  IE point-in-time data of pages
that have changed.  Should that data be lost, there is no way to restore
beyond what was lost unless another FULL or complete backup has been
created, but it then could be the case that the full is too late a
point-in-time.

Yup, I already been down that road, and there isn't any good sights to
see.  Since then, I use raid-5 storage pools with floating hot spares
whereever I can.   I know I'm still open to hardware failure issues, but
the likelyhood of taking a hit is greatly reduced.  Performance hit?  Our
performance measurement guy saw almost not difference in throughput with
raid-5 versus non raid-5 in the TSM environment.  Basically says to me
that the ever famed bottleneck isn't visiting dasd land right now.  Also
keep in mind that NO storage layout/method/etc can protect against
corrupted data being written.

--
Al

"Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
02/07/03 08:51 AM